Diarist.Net Active  

Go Back   Diarist.Net Active > Special Forums > Quick Start: Journal Hosts
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old December 14, 2000, 10:07 AM
Big Kahuna

Send a message via ICQ to pzarquon Send a message via AIM to pzarquon Send a message via Yahoo to pzarquon
Default Livejournal

Livejournal Comments
http://www.livejournal.com

Livejournal users, current and former, please feel free to post your impressions of the service in this thread. Register for DNA (if you haven't already), and click "Post Reply" we'd love to hear your thoughts.
Old January 22, 2001, 03:47 PM

I haven't found livejournal to be "clunky" at all. In fact, I think the development team has been doing amazing in creating a great community of such diverse people... and intertwines the actual users in every part of the site. Livejournal really is a journal for the journal-ist. It's not only gorgeous (on the eyes), its clear (for the brain) .. I've seen everything from short entries to pages of writing work just fine.

------------------
~lightmare~
Old March 16, 2001, 06:44 PM

Hi... I'm Mark, the "all things business" manager of LiveJournal. Just read your review... it's interesting, but perhaps a bit outdated, since we have changed a lot recently. I would love to have your feedback and input on our changes to the site, if you'd consider dropping me a line.

The biggest change since your review is probably the addition of our communities to LiveJournal. They have made all the difference, frankly. We have hundreds of user created communities on just about every topic you can shake a stick at now, and they are as easy to post to as our journals... they work in very much the same way, actually.

The journals have allowed a lot more communication between users than before. We use communities at http://lj_biz.livejournal.com and http://lj_dev.livejournal.com
to run and design our site, now... this has allowed us to release all our code as open source, infact. As a result, we have probably the most rapid and robust growth and development of the weblog sites. We also have very, very satisfied users... they have donated over $35K to LiveJournal since around November. It's worth noting that we have made a policy on banner ads... We will never put banner ads on LiveJournal's weblogs, journals, or communities... ever.

LiveJournal has used its communities to become truely volunteer operated. We now have over 100 volunteers working on all aspects of the site, from support to abuse to development, and everything else you could think of. This is especially valuble in the field of support. Most support requests are answered within 15 minutes.

Your comments regarding the style system for LiveJournal were dead-on, unfortunately. We are creating S2, a second generation style system that will make the styles MUCH easier to use and much more configurable. Free users will now have the same ability to edit their journal as paid members. We are also creating MyLJ, which will allow users to install LiveJournal and use all of LiveJournal's features on any website.

We have slew of other improvements too, such as allowing users to log IP addresses of visitors, block anonymous posting in their journal, turn comment features on and off, a new image server for members, easy member URLs (http://member.livejournal.com) , a great, a new, fast server infrastructure coming at the end of March (2 web servers, a $21,000 alpha database server, and the image server), improved client features, a fast OC-3 connection to a major internet backbone, new and updates software clients, including a new client for PalmOS... automatic detection for whatever music you are playing. (Great to use instead of mood themes, I find.) User pictures that can automatically change depending on your mood... memories feature where you can create lists of your favorite posts sorted by whatever topics you specify, to-do lists for organizing tasks, etc.

Feel free to e-mail me if you have any questions or comments. We're working hard to make the best online community / weblog software out there, but impartial feedback such as yours is a rare thing and I would love to have it.

Thanks,
Mark

LiveJournal.com
Old June 3, 2001, 02:29 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Vesna

I love LiveJournal! I've used it for about 10 days now and it's a blast! I also love the community factor and the fact that so many people use it. It's fab.

I really think your review is outdated and that you need to take another look at it!
Old January 19, 2002, 11:03 AM

Default codes

This is like the 3rd post i made about this...in a day. I just want to make sure people see that i want a creation code for live journal. please please please someone help me!!!! email me if you can help me get one!!!!!!
Old December 2, 2002, 01:02 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to scottysgirl

I too need a creation code. My friend has a live journal, but she has appeared to go AWOL and is no where to be found. I really like the set up and everything of Live Journal. So if some one could be really nice and get me a code that would be great My e-mail is: Some one please help. it would be greatly appretiated.
Old September 21, 2005, 06:12 AM

Question Hummm....

Well, I got a livejournal in january of 2003, and i had nobody knew that was allready there....and i just wnated to meet new people, and i wanted to get a communty, i love the sit,e it's just that i have no incentive to write, becaues nobody is reading. Can anybody suggest a way for me to meet people or find friends on LJ? It is such a great site, and OpenDiary has gone down the tube.

get back to me at